Sunday, December 14, 2008

O Christmas Tree

The trees are up and I am happy.

Right after Thanksgiving we put up the trees. It's easily a 2-3 day process. Day 1 is lights. We put on lots! If you can't read a book by tree light, there isn't enough. Surprisingly, it's not the light wrapping that takes the whole afternoon, it's the bulb testing and cussing. This year we didn't have enough matching lights for the downstairs tree so we had to buy new. I like them... they're big and bright and slightly retro. They make me want a cocktail.


Day 2 is ornaments. I've been collecting them since I was born. We unwrap each one and choose our favorites to go on... there are so many. At some point in the 1980's I started recording who gave me which ornament and when. My family is patient with me as I tell the same stories about the same ornaments each year. I've started a notebook for Ross' ornaments, too. He doesn't understand why. I tell him his wife will thank me someday. And day 3 (if we don't have time on on day 2) is the tinsel. Does anyone else other than my mother and I still hang icicles on their tree!? I love how they sparkle in the 800 lights!

So bring on the shopping and stress of the holiday season. My happy place is ready!

3 comments:

Doug Raynor said...

believe it or not, and this is 100% true, my grandmother still puts tinsel on her tree. the thing is, she recycles her tinsel. she has been using the same tinsel on her tree for 50 YEARS!

looking forward to seeing you in connellsville! merry christmas!

Hank W. Smoot said...

If you do enough outdoor decorating, you can extend the cussing right through the New Year... trust me!

Unknown said...

Your trees are beautiful. I have to confess I always hated putting icicles on the tree and stopped years ago. Merry Christmas to you and all of your family.